Sunday, November 1, 2009

Update

Well, I've been using the B as a daily driver for a few weeks now. I just noticed that my brake lights aren't working so I parked it until I could solve that problem. I also ordered new seatbelts, radio, and proper needles. Hopefully I'll be able to get the carbs properly tuned instead of lean and I'll be able to make it a fun daily driver that I can listen to the radio with.

So, currently my brake lights don't work, no blinkers and no horn. I also have intermittent tachometer, temp and fuel gauges.

The brake lights have been a bitch to figure out. I've been going over the schematics and I have power to the fuses but I don't have any at the brake light switch. I'll play with it some more tomorrow when I get my radio in and hopefully figure something out, I'm suspecting I need to dismantle the fuse box and clean it up, solder some things, etc. I've also been trying to figure out the horn. It makes a weird crackling noise when I try to push it. I thought maybe it wasn't getting power but I tested out 12v at the switch so I know it's some sort of ground problem. I also pulled the horn wire going into the steering wheel and grounded it myself to test the theory and it sounds great. I believe the blinkers are related to the brake lights and tach so if I can figure that out I believe alot of my electrical problems will disappear. On the plus side, the heater fan works so I know I'll have power for the radio when that gets in.

I'm thinking of getting a relay kit to switch the lights and horn, hopefully that could clear up some problems I have. I also got a bunch of fuses and replaced all of them with 20a. Oh, the joys of a car left in the yard for several years.

No comments: