Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oil Pressure

So, for the past week or so I’ve been plagued with LOW oil pressure. It’s reading pressure, but really pathetic pressure. It’s really only started since the weather got cold so I’m pretty sure it’s temperature related and I’m hoping it’s just some frozen water in the gage line or something. I’ve asked on MGExperience for help and they’ve suggested a few things. Today’s goals are to:

  1. Warm up the garage to see if it helps
  2. Pull the Oil Sender and see if oil squirts out of there
  3. Change the oil/filter with 20-w50
  4. Hit it
  5. Fix/Replace/Hit Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Hopefully one of these will fix it and I’ll be able to take my baby out for some gas and then some driving. It’s been awhile since she’s really been out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hiya
I have a 1973 MG BGT. I too am having problems with a low oil pressure reading. I've checked all connections on the inlet manifold. I've even disconnected the brake servo and plugged the pipe to check that there was no vacuum leak on the servo. Last weekend I replaced the oil pressure relief valve. The old spring was considerably shorter than the new one so I thought I'd found the source of the problem. Put it back together and the pressure reads lower than before! I've noticed that the oil cooler is weeping slightly, so I'm hoping that this is what's causing the problem.The engine was rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago so it shouldn't have worn to the point where low oil pressure would be expected. It doesn't sound worn and performs well. I suppose it could be that the gauge is faulty. Oh the joys of classic car ownership!