Friday, July 17, 2009

Death to the MGB!

Alright, so. I did the COMPLETE tune-up. Valves, point gap, carbs, fuel mix, timing, etc. You name it, I probably did it. Idles fine, revs fine. I took it out for a test drive and made it about 2-3 miles before it began to sputter, misfire, and finally die. After a few minutes checking under the hood I tried to start her up again. Fires right up, until I give it gas. Once I put a load on the engine it begins misfiring, sputters, the whole nine yards. I managed to get it home and play a bit more with the engine and gave it one more try. This time I only made it about 100 yards before I couldn't make it anymore.

I suspect it's the gapping in the points for the distributor. I wasn't really sure if I was doing it right and I think I half-assed it. I'm going to pull the distributor tomorrow and re-gap it properly. I also just got my colortune in the mail so I'm going to use that to get the fuel mix right. I may pull the carbs and ensure the floats are properly leveled so I can get the fuel mix proper.

No comments: