Friday, May 15, 2009

Oil & Coolant

Alright, for all of you that have changed your oil and waited 2 months to replace it, here's one you'll like.

What's the #1 thing you need to make sure you've put back on before adding oil?

          Give up? The Oil Plug.

What's the #2 thing you need to make sure you've done before adding oil?

          Tightened the valve cover down

I was putting oil back in the engine after removing everything for cleaning and repainting the engine. Apparently I forgot a few steps and ended up pouring in 3 bottles of VR-1 before noticing the oil leak. Thankfully the oil was still chilled a bit and the block was empty of oil, so only about 1/3 of a quart made it to the floor from the oil pan, before I knocked over another quart that was waiting for me, while I ran to put the plug back in. I also managed to put some brand new oil on the side of my newly painted engine block.

I also managed to get coolant in without any leaks and put a “new” valve on the heater valve so I can control the heater during the summer.

Yay. Oh, and after 7 months of sitting my carbs leak gas since I forget to tighten the bowl covers.

Onward and outward, or something like that. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more luck and a started engine.

No comments: