Monday, March 1, 2010

Relay Install

I was tempted to get one of Limey's Relay kits, but basically I decided I could make my own for less (silly me). I got all the materials I needed ($12 more than he asks) and went to town. I finally got it installed and WOW, the headlights are massively brighter. I wish I'd taken a picture before and after of just the lights.

I also took the time to fix a few more problems. I got the proper tubing to hold the vacuum line in, bypassed my heater core since mine leaks (yay), and I have cork to make a new gasket for the fuel pump when I get the time to get down there.

I do need to order some electrical connections for British cars so I'll be able to use the bullet connections everywhere. I had to splice in alot of stuff to get the relays to work. Everything's good though and it looks nice.

Sadly though, my fixing broke something and now it won't start. I think I got something in the distributor but I'll have to check that at a later date. One thing fixed two broke...

2 comments:

DBGaither said...

I was reading one of your posts from 2008 about using LED's in your gauges. I can't find any reference to them on your blog. What did you end up doing to light your gauges? I went old-school original and it really sucks. I'd like to upgrade them. What did you do?

Ned said...

I actually haven't taken my gauges apart. The original lights are still working in them. I plan on tearing the dash apart next winter and I may install LED's at that point. The lighting does suck but since I don't drive it too much at night it's not a problem.

Alot of people on mgexperience.net have removed their gauges and disassembled them, painted the interior white and cleaned everything up with good results. May be worth trying.